When it comes to decorating a home, one of the key considerations is finding furniture and fabrics that can withstand the wear and tear of daily life. This is especially true for homes with pets because our furry friends can often cause damage to upholstery and carpeting. However, there are a number of pet-friendly furniture fabrics available that are both durable and stylish.
Microfiber, for example, is resistant to staining and easy to clean. Leather is another option that stands up quite well to scratching and chewing. And, if you’re looking for a fabric that’s both stylish and pet-friendly, consider using darker colours or patterns as they tend to hide dirt and hair more effectively. With a little bit of research, it’s possible to find furniture fabrics that are both beautiful and functional – even if you have pets.
Take Your Pets Into Consideration
When it comes to choosing furniture fabrics that are suitable for pets, there are a few things to keep in mind –
- Consider the type of fabric. Some fabrics, like leather, are naturally resistant to pet hair and dirt, making them a good choice for homes with pets. Other fabrics, like velvet, wool or linen, may require more upkeep but can also be beautiful and durable options.
- Consider the colour of the fabric. Darker colours will show less dirt and hair, while lighter colours may be more prone to staining.
- Choose a fabric that’s comfortable for both you and your pet. Pet-friendly furniture fabrics can be both stylish and practical, so take your time to find the perfect option for your home.
We must not forget about our furry friends when considering the type of upholstery to select for our furniture. Pets are part of the family and they deserve to be comfortable too. Luckily, there are a number of pet-friendly fabrics available that are both stylish and functional.
No. 1: *Crypton fabrics are made from a spill-resistant and stain-resistant material that’s very easy to clean.
No. 2: Synthetic leathers are another good option for those with pets, as they are durable and easy to maintain.
*Crypton is the name given to a patented technology whereby a fabric is treated to resist and inhibit bacteria growth and also to prevent it from becoming stained. Manufacturers describe this treated fabric as ‘Crypton Super Fabrics’ because water will not soak into the fabric.
Choosing The Right Fabrics For Your Pets
It’s important to choose the right fabrics for your home if you have pets. Some fabrics can be irritating to your pet’s skin, and some can be dangerous if your pet decides to chew on them. Let’s discuss how to choose the best fabrics for your home so you can keep your pets safe and comfortable.
- Consider what kind of fabric would be comfortable for your pet. If you have a dog, you’ll want to avoid fabrics that are scratchy or rough. Instead, choose soft, smooth fabrics like cotton or linen. For cats, you’ll want to avoid fabrics that are loose or have a lot of texture. Cats prefer smooth fabrics that they can sink their claws into.
- What kind of fabric would be safe for your pet? Some fabrics, like wool, can be irritating to your pet’s skin. And other fabrics, like polyester, can be dangerous if your pet decides to chew on them.
- What kind of fabric would be easy to clean? If you have a pet that sheds, you’ll want to choose fabrics that are easy to vacuum or spot-clean. And if you have a pet that likes to make messes, you’ll want to choose fabrics that are stain-resistant.
With these things in mind, here are a few of the best fabrics for your home:
- Cotton: Cotton is a soft, natural fabric that’s comfortable for both dogs and cats. It’s also easy to clean.
- Linen: Linen is another soft, natural fabric that’s comfortable for both dogs and cats. It’s also easy to clean and resists wrinkles.
- Leather: Leather is a durable, stain-resistant fabric that’s perfect for homes with pets. It’s also easy to clean.
- Microfiber: Microfiber is a synthetic fabric that’s stain-resistant and easy to clean. It’s also comfortable for both dogs and cats.
How Can I Protect The Furniture Fabrics In My Home If I Have Pets?
There are a few things you can do to protect your furniture fabrics if you have pets.
- Consider using slipcovers on your upholstered furniture. Slipcovers can be easily removed and washed, which will help keep the fabric clean and free of pet hair and dirt.
- Try to keep your pets off the furniture as much as possible. This will help minimize the amount of wear and tear on the fabric.
- Vacuum your furniture regularly to remove any pet hair or debris that may be clinging to the fabric.
Let’s take a closer look at some pet-friendly fabrics that will not only smarten up your home but also keep your loved pet safe.
When it comes to choosing fabrics for your home, there’s a range of factors to take into consideration. But if you have pets, there’s one factor that should be at the top of your list: pet-friendliness. Certain fabrics are simply better suited for homes with furry friends. And one of the best choices is velvet.
There are good reasons why velvet is popular for upholstery, curtains, and other home textile items: it’s soft, luxurious, and looks great. But it’s also surprisingly durable. Pet claws aren’t likely to do much damage to velvet, and even if they do, the fabric is easy to repair. Velvet is also relatively stain-resistant. Even if your pet has an accident on your velvet sofa, chair, or ottoman, you’ll be able to clean it up with minimal effort.
Velvet’s dense pile means that your pet’s paws won’t get caught in the fabric, creating snags and pulls. Interestingly, you’ll find that your pets won’t show much interest in scratching your gorgeous velvet furniture or sinking their claws into your expensive fabric.
We suggest you focus on synthetic velvet, not cotton. Synthetic velvet can be spot cleaned or wiped over with little effort, making it the perfect upholstery fabric if you have indoor pets. If your pet makes a mud mess on your velvet couch, simply use your vacuum cleaner or a lint roller to return your couch to its pristine condition.
Leather has long been a popular choice for pet-friendly furniture, thanks to its durability and classic good looks. But it’s also an excellent choice for homes with pets. Leather is resistant to both pet fur and stains, making it a low-maintenance option for busy families. In addition, leather furniture items like a sofa or armchair tend to be more comfortable for both people and animals, thanks to their softer surface. As a result, leather is quickly becoming the fabric of choice for pet-friendly homes.
Pets can be tough on furniture, leaving scratches, hair, and other messes. As a result, many pet owners avoid leather furniture, fearing that their furry friends will damage the costly material. However, leather is actually one of the most durable pet-friendly fabrics available. It’s easy to clean and resistant to both stains and scratches. Because there’s no pile or excess fabric with leather, there’s nothing for a cat to pull on; however, they can sink their claws into the fabric. Due to the strength and durability of leather, though, there’s less likelihood of this happening.
And if you hate pet shedding, leather is definitely the way to go. Leather is very easy to clean, even if your pet has dirty paws. If you go for darker leather tones, like blacks and browns, you probably won’t even be able to see any dirt.
Outdoor Pets? Choose Durable Fabrics For Outdoor Furniture
If compromising on the type of outdoor material is out of the question, consider making a concession regarding the fabric’s colour and style. Fabrics that are textured, patterned, or darker in colour will help hide any nasties until you have time to clean up. Choose bolder or darker colours like greys, browns, warm shades, and jewel tones, instead of lighter cool tones and pastels. The more patterned the fabric, the harder it will be to notice any dirt or wear and tear.
Also, consider how your furniture will stand up to wear and tear from your pets. Some fabrics are more durable than others and can resist scratching, staining, and fading. Avoid delicate fabrics like silk or linen as pets can easily damage them.
Our Suggestion: Abide Interior’s Signature in-House Premium Blend
We’ve saved the best for last because we want to introduce you to Abide Interior’s amazing pet-friendly fabric. It’s linen! You might be surprised to hear this, but linen is extremely durable. We consider linen to be the first choice for those families whose loved pets live indoors with them.
Benefits of Choosing Our Signature Premium Blend Linen Fabric
- It’s tough, yet very soft.
- Linen resists wear and tear, and this includes pilling and abrasion from friction.
- It’s stain-resistant when treated correctly.
- It’s so easy to clean with either your vacuum cleaner or lint roller.
- Linen looks amazing and is always on-trend.
- Choose a darker colour to hide stains; however, your linen should be washed regularly. A spot cleaner will work really well for instant stains. Your linen couch will look fabulous for many years.
- Linen may not be your best choice if you have a pet with sharp claws. Because linen is softly woven it won’t be able to protect itself against sharp claws.
If you’re looking for furniture fabrics and material options to accommodate your furry pets, Abide Interiors has got you covered. We know how important your household pets are and we know how to take care of both your pets and your furniture.
Regardless of the material you’ve chosen for your pet-friendly furniture items –
- A good quality fabric cleaner is essential. You may think ‘I’ll never be able to remove this stain’, but you’ll be surprised what top fabric cleaners are capable of!
- Most of our valued customers have provided their loved pets with their own cute and stylish indoor home. Not only will a pet bed protect your furniture, it will also make your pet feel very special. Some of the pet beds available today are really trendy, and when placed in pride of place in your living or family room your pet won’t feel unloved or left out.
- Investing in a sofa cover or trendy throw is always a good idea. If your pet is coming inside, just slip the cover over your couch or sofa to protect it from dirty paws.
- Check out our Palermo Collection. Besides being beautiful, this collection features removable slipcovers, so just give the cover a good wash and you’re good to go again!
Abide Interiors is renowned for its affordable and stylish furniture, with pieces to suit every aesthetic. Check out our website, or better yet, come and visit us in person. We’d love to meet you and discuss your furniture requirements.
or 4 payments of $468.56 with Afterpay
or 4 payments of $262.31 with Afterpay
or 4 payments of $136.69 with Afterpay
or 4 payments of $136.69 with Afterpay