What is it about being near the water that makes us feel so good? It doesn’t seem to matter whether we’re swimming, fishing, making sandcastles, having a game of beach cricket, or just strolling along the water’s edge, there’s something quite extraordinary that happens to us. The first thing that happens is that we start to relax! We throw caution to the wind and allow ourselves to feel truly free. There’s nothing we have to do, other than enjoy the fresh air and sunshine and listen to the soothing sound of waves lapping on the shore.
What The Research Says
Research is very clear that being near water can have a positive impact on our mental well-being.
- One study found that participants who took a walk on a beach or by a stream or river reported lower levels of stress and anxiety than those who walked in a city.
- Another found that office workers who had a view of water experienced less stress and fewer health problems than those who didn’t.
- In another study, participants were asked to sit in a room with either a water fountain or a plant. The results showed that those who were sitting near the water fountain reported feeling more relaxed than those who were sitting near the plant.
- Furthermore, another study found that exposure to blue light (which is often found in water) can help improve moods and reduce stress levels.
- Another study revealed that being near water can lower our heart rate and blood pressure, plus it can help reduce anxiety.
- To take it even further, one study found that the color of water can have a big impact on how we perceive it. Clear water is often seen as being clean and pure, while dark water can be perceived as being murky and dangerous. The color of water can also affect how willing we are to drink it. For example, many people would hesitate to drink water that was a deep green color, even if it was safe to do so. In general, we tend to prefer water that is a clear or light blue color. This is because these colors are associated with calmness and tranquillity, which can help us to feel more relaxed.
There are a few possible explanations for the phenomenon of water and our good health.
- One theory is that water has a calming effect on the brain, helping us to relax and feel more peaceful.
- Another possibility is that the sound of water – whether it’s the crashing of waves or the trickle of a stream – can help lull us into a state of relaxation.
Whatever the reason, there’s no denying that water has a powerful effect on our mood and well-being. So next time you’re feeling stressed, try taking a walk by the river or spending some time by the ocean. You may find that the water has a calming influence on your mind and body.
So, while we understand the many benefits of living near water, how can those of us who are landlocked enjoy these same great health benefits? How can we introduce this amazing health-giving energy into our homes?
Introducing Water Energy To Our Homes
Unfortunately, water is often taken for granted and we often don’t stop to think about how we can use water to improve our lives. However, there are many ways we can bring the soothing energy of water into our homes. For example –
- You could install a water feature such as a fountain or waterfall. These features not only add a sense of calm to our homes, they also help increase the flow of positive energy.
- Water-based cleansing rituals such as smudging or space clearing can help purify our homes and remove negative energy.
By taking advantage of the power of water, we can create energizing and supportive environments in our homes.
Enjoying The Benefits Of Water In Your Home
Introducing a water theme to your home will be incredibly therapeutic because we know water has a profound and calming effect on our moods. Water is one of the most important natural elements, and it has a huge impact on our lives.
Water themes can be created in your home in a variety of ways, depending on your preferences –
- One of the simplest ways to incorporate water into your home is to use decorative vases or bowls filled with water and adorned with floating candles. This creates a peaceful and serene ambiance that encourages relaxation after a long day.
- Install an aquarium, an indoor fountain, or even an indoor water garden.
- Another way to add water to your décor is to use it as a backdrop for your artwork. You could frame your favorite pictures or paintings and hang them against a wall with a water-themed design.
- If you want to create a more dramatic effect, you might want to consider installing an indoor waterfall. This will definitely be a conversation starter and will add a touch of luxury to your home. Water fountains are popular because they help improve the air quality in our homes. They work by circulating the air and reducing the levels of dust and pollen in the air.
No matter what type of water theme you choose for your home, it’s important to ensure that the water is clean and free from any impurities.